Thursday 29 August 2013

Dinner Date

I Want to Save Room for the Metal Detector
a story


"Not for me, thanks. I want to save room for the metal detector." She patted her belly and licked her lips.

"You what?" asked Loz.

"I want to save room for the metal detector. So no seconds for me. It was lovely, though." She put her knife and fork together on the plate and sat back.

"What do you mean? What metal detector?" asked Loz.

"Oh. Are you getting the cheese board?"

Loz put his wine glass to his lips and held it there. He was scrutinising her expression.

"Five courses, right?" she said.

"Yeah. Five courses."

"Great." She drummed the table greedily. "I'll try to grab the waiter when he comes past."

"I don't understand," said Loz. "What does a metal detector have to do with anything?"

She gave a little patronising, quizzical head movement, which made things worse. "Five courses," she said, and counted them on her fingers and thumb. "Soup. Appetiser. Main course. Desert. Metal detector."

"Or cheese board?"

"Yes. Or cheese board."

Loz leaned in. "You know, I don't think they do a metal detector course here."

"What?" She met his lean. "Why not?"

"I don't think it's a standard thing. I've never even heard of it."

"You've never heard of a metal detector?"

"No, I've... I have heard of a metal detector. I know they exist. But I've never heard of them as a... dining... option..."

"Well, you grew up down South," she said. She shook her head dismissively. "I'm sure they must do it at a place this fancy."

"I really don't think they do."

"Well we'll see, won't we." She lifted her hand to attract the attention of the waiter. Before she could speak, Loz grabbed her hand and lowered it. It was the first time they had touched.

She laughed. "What are you doing?"

"Just... just wait a moment," said Loz. "Just wait a moment."

He tried to move even closer, but his chair was tucked in as far as it would go. 

"Just wait a moment," he said again. "Before we ask them, can I just... I was wondering..."

He was having trouble finding the words. She waited patiently for him to speak, and finished her wine.

"I was just wondering," he continued in a whisper, "what kind of metal detector it is. Normally, I mean. Is it the sort-of 'beachcomber' portable one, or is it the thing you walk through at the airport? The... gateway?" 

He mimed a gateway.

The waiter arrived thirty seconds later, by which time Loz and Antonia (the woman) were engaged to be married.

No comments:

Post a Comment