Friday 26 October 2012

Red Mist Resurrection


Back once again with the ill behaviour.

*cough*

*faint*

*purchase Benylin*

I am back once again. Unfortunately, the Renegade Master couldn't make it.

I asked him why not, and he said he was practising being a renegade.

I was confused. "But you're the Renegade Master", I said. "Why would you need to practise?"

He said, "I am only the Renegade Master because I practise".

Wise words indeed.

***

One of the main drawbacks of being a Ninja Turtle would be that you'd have to get your knuckledusters custom made.

Luckily www.knuckledustom.com has a sale on.

***

I've seen some films recently. I'm always very insightful when it comes to the old elephant's television (or "cinoma"). Sometimes, Mark Kermode calls me up to ask for advice or his car keys back.

So let's get down to business.

Before Sunrise

Nice.

The Fly

Less nice.

Spartacus

Long. This oysters and snails scene is good. (It was added to the restoration, but the original audio was lost. Anthony Hopkins does the voice of Laurence Olivier!)



Kick-Ass

No good. Not bad, but not good. I'm not sure what it was supposed to be, really. (By the way, though I'm a comic book nerd, I've never read the Kick-Ass comics, so I came to this fresh)

Not funny enough to be a comedy, not violent enough to be a gore-fest, not ironic enough to be interesting, not realistic enough to be... realistic. It felt a little bit confused and lacking in focus.

Maybe I was just in a weird mood when I watched it. I worry that my mindset may influence my judgement. I need to see films several times, in a variety of conditions, before proclaiming my verdict. Once when happy, once when angry, once when in an igloo, once at a funeral, once on an aeroplane and once whilst full of flan.

Then my star rating will be incontrovertible.

The most interesting thing about the film was that there was a character called Red Mist.

Remember "Red Mist"? Remember those blog posts where I talked about Red Mist?

What is it about that phrase? It's following me round like some kind of... crimson... haze...

In the IMBd trivia page for the film, it goes into more detail on the mist issue:

"Red Mist" is a term that has been used to refer to a bomb-disposal person who gets blown up by the bomb they were trying to defuse  It's not very specific about who has used it that way. It may have only been used that way once. In the IMDb trivia section.  (Incidentally, does my use of the lower-case 'b' in 'IMBd' mean that I'm kowtowing to the sick whims of marketing goons? If so, I'll stop. Same with the ipOd.)  That usage is quite similar to the one I used in my story recently. Then again, blood is probably the first red thing that we think of. It's a little-known fact that blood is the only red thing that occurs naturally on the planet. All other red things are just embarrassed.
I should probably go now. The Kermster is still on at me about his keys. I keep telling him to look inside his own hair, but he just does a really annoying sarcastic laugh and stubbornly refuses to move out of the door frame.

His loss.

His key loss.

For all I know, I may return for a third time later.

This day has been 90% full of surprises, and 10% full of the same old predictable false percentages.

No comments:

Post a Comment