Friday 12 July 2013

Scored


No. Stay awake. Keep talking.

Don't close your eyes. Hey!

You'll be OK, do you understand me?

Talk to me.

Who's your favourite Beatle Boy?

Yeah, I like him too.

The hair, I think.

***

I had the song Silver Bells in my head the other day. It came up on shuffle. I don't mind the song, but it wasn't very appropriate, because of the weather and inaccurate metallurgy. My bells are tin.

Did people get songs stuck in their heads in the old days? It seems like a new phenomenon, but that might just be because I'm around more these days than I was back then.

From our consumption of television, radio and film, we're used to having our experiences accompanied by continual noise. The modern mind cannot abide dead air.

That's why we get songs stuck in our heads. If our brain has no soundtrack, we think that something is wrong.

Or is song-in-head a problem that has plagued us forever? Perhaps since the dawn of our species?

We might have had that propensity even before songs were invented. We might have known we were missing something, but not known exactly what.

And then one day a cavewoman would have gone "do-dee-do-ruh" (in a tuneful way), and everyone else in the cave would have nodded, and pointed at her, and nodded again, and said "Yeah. She's got something."

And then when they were out gathering mammoths or whatever, they would have heard "do-dee-do-ruh" in their heads. Like a memory, but louder.

It's probably a universal thing. There are remote tribes in the wilderness, cut off from civilisation, who still find themselves singing a theme tune or orchid jingle.

I think song-in-head is what makes us human. It's certainly not our capacity for legs. Loads of animals have as many legs as us. Some have even more.

"Doo-dee-do-ruh" is my ringtone. Silver Bells is my alarm tone. I like to wake up early on Christmas morning.

***

I've been watching Mr Show with Bob and David lately. It's a sketch show from the nineties. I hadn't seen it before because I'm British.

It's a bit hit and miss. You know, like all sketch shows.

Here's a very funny hit:



***

I've also been doing some other things. Loads of them.

I've been designing my own T-shirts:


I've been doing a bit of DIM (that's DIY from your perspective).

I've dreamt about pushing Michael Stipe down the stairs.

I've got fingers in a lot of pies.

***

The Blogger spellcheck wants me to change "cavewoman" to "caveman".

Of course you do. Misogynists.

Women can't even be words in this disgusting cavepatriarchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment